Monday, October 11, 2010

Commonwealth Games

Ok I confess, I'm a sports freak and I'm getting the full dose at the moment with the Commonwealth games being in full flight, I love it, despite them being a bit of an anachronism in these days of nonstop professional sport. Of course I wouldn't sacrifice a good Rugby game to watch it but it's great in any case. The big advantage that these games have is that they have Netball and I'm a huge fan of netball. So I'm watching the Indians play and they're supposed to be easy beats and in fact in the company of the Silver Ferns, the Ozzies, the English and Jamaicans, you'd have to admit they are. They just don't have the speed, power, team and through the court skills that the top teams have. However their shooting circle was excellent and much of the basics are there.

If the Indians were to put together a national league and imported a Margaret Matenga, or Lynn Parker or any other good coaching people and some top players to give them a kick start, they could do for Netball what the Champions League has done for cricket. All they have to do is embrace it like Malawi has and wow Netball would take off internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment